Mom Prayers for the New Year
Make Bible study simple and practical
Learn secrets to thrive in your relationship with with God and how to make Bible study a priority (even when life is busy)!
Join our faith & family newsletter and get instant access to the Make Over Your Bible Study Challenge and FREE e-mail course.
Your privacy is important to us.
The New Year brings on the urge to make resolutions and set goals for ourselves and for our family. We say good-bye to the past and look forward to the future. We reflect on what has gone well the previous year and areas where change is required. Fresh beginnings are welcomed and embraced. One great place to start this process is in prayer. The fervent prayer of a mom does wonders! Here are my Mom Prayers For The New Year.
Prayers For Myself
I know I am no good to my family if I am not seeking the Lord daily. Spending time with God is essential to my overall well-being. Here are some things I pray for:
- That my heart will never depart from His.
- I love praying Psalm 5:1-3 – a cry for the Lord to hear my cries.
- That His word will be deeply rooted within my heart.
- I ask for Godly wisdom – believe me, I need it.
- I’ve been praying more about intimacy lately (just being honest here). Maybe it is exhaustion from a busy fall or it might be getting to that ‘age’. I don’t know, I just know I need to be praying for myself in this area!
- May I be filled with His unspeakable joy.
- I would be seen as someone who is full of tender-hearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Prayers For My Husband
A strong marriage provides a solid foundation for the growth of my family. However, this doesn’t come by chance or easily. It takes work, but most importantly, it takes a lot of prayer. There are a number of things I pray about over my husband and my marriage. Here are a few of them:
- I will love him the way God intended; I will be the wife he needs.
- His priorities will be honoring to God.
- God will guard his heart and his mind.
- He would be a strong and Godly leader.
- He would be a man of strong character and integrity.
- That my greatest expectations must be from God and not my husband.
Prayers For My Kids
I can’t begin to tell you how essential praying over your kids is. Not only a dedicated time each day for praying over them, but also – or even especially – when the Holy Spirit prompts. My oldest had a sleepover at a friend’s house the other night – now we don’t do sleepovers very often. In fact, I can’t remember her last one, it has been so long! When I climbed into bed, I just felt that I needed to pray for her. And I did.
The next morning when I went to pick her up, she told me that the night before, when the girls were picking a movie to watch a couple of girls wanted to watch inappropriate movies. My daughter had to have the courage to say ‘no’. When I felt the Holy Spirit prompting to pray for her, I know for sure that I was praying for her to have courage and boldness to stand up for her convictions – and not because she was worried about getting into trouble, but because those movies were wrong for her to watch and she would be incredibly uncomfortable viewing them.
So, don’t stop praying for your kids! A mother’s prayers are extraordinarily powerful. Here are some starting points:
- A strong relationship with siblings, loving each other deeply. Sometimes this also means leading them into prayer for each other – especially when they have been arguing incessantly.
- They will walk closely with God.
- My kids will take every thought captive under the authority of Christ.
- They would be confident in God’s call on their lives.
- They would have great wisdom with online interactions.
- I pray that I will parent like my Heavenly Father.
A little more specifically, for my son, I pray these kinds of things over him:
- He would be a man of honor and integrity – he is only 13, but these kinds of prayers are so important!
- He will develop a strong relationship with God.
- Positive influences of good friends.
- He will honor and respect women/girls.
For my girls, I pray:
- They will appreciate their bodies as amazing creations.
- They will have wisdom in dealing with boys.
- Protection from girl drama, envy and gossip.
- They will find their strength in God.
Prayer For My Family
Lastly, I pray over my family in general. The Christian family is under attack and our enemy is relentless. Consequently, our homes require powerful prayer in order to remain strong. Here are some ideas:
- Our family would be a Godly example and show the love of God to others.
- For God’s guidance in all decisions and plans.
- We would find ways to be generous.
- Our family will be protected from the negative influences of sin.
- We would have a sincere love for others – the oil of compassion.
- We would be united in love and protected from division.
I pray this list encourages you in your prayer life this year.
I have created a simple printable for you to use. Simply click the link below to download the PDF. For more prayer resources, I have my full prayer guide for sale on my site OR for free if you subscribe!
May you be blessed this year!
Aimee is a home educating support teacher who lives in the sunny Okanagan, BC. Aimee has been blissfully married since 1998 and still swoons at the sight of her tall, dark and handsome husband, Marcus. When she isn’t home educating her 3 kids, she enjoys sewing, quilting, scrapbooking and hanging out with her family. She blogs over at A Work of Grace. You can find her on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.