50 Ways to Love Your Spouse Well
Are you ready to enhance your marriage?
Take the Blessing Your Spouse Challenge &
get practical tools to strengthen your marriage!
Join our faith & family newsletter to get instant access to the challenge printables and watch your relationship bloom!
Your privacy is important to us.
As a newly engaged woman, I used to dream about our life together. Having lived in separate towns for our entire relationship, the thought of seeing my love on a daily basis was thrilling. I imagined long chats each night before we finally snuggled into bed. Honestly, I wondered how I would even work since I was so head over heels in love with my man.
Looking back I admit that I laugh a bit at my naive self. While our marriage has been the highlight of my life, we are hardly giddy newlyweds anymore. Those long, fireside chats I imagined don’t happen nearly as often as I would like. And honestly, as we fall into bed each night exhausted by life, we don’t snuggle as much as I had fantasized.
However, through our years of battling cancer, infertility and Autism, we’ve learned how to love sacrificially. While marriage may not be the passionate affair I once imagined, what we have now is even better. Through every season and storm life threw our way, we learned these 50 ways to truly love each other well.
50 Ways to Love Your Spouse Well
- Write a love note
- Have simple, yet fun in-home dates
- Protect your spouse’s rest and give him/her time to relax
- Guard your tongue
- Surprise him/her at work with lunch
- Get intimate!!!
- Watch his/her favorite movie (without complaining)
- Do his/her least favorite chore
- Send a text to say, “I love you”
- Leave a surprise or note in his/her car
- Set the coffee to brew (or surprise them with his/her favorite drink)
- Ask him/her about their day
- Smile often and “just because”
- Kiss and hug upon greeting
- Call if you’re running late
- Pray for him/her regularly
- Watch your tone of voice
- Choose your words carefully
- Give grace (even when it’s not deserved or expected)
- Don’t nag
- Pray Scripture over him/her
- Dress to impress once and awhile
- Surprise him/her with a date night
- Give him the night off and to spend with friends
- Do a chore without being asked
- Give a massage
- Listen carefully
- Hold his/her hand
- Do his/her favorite hobby (even if it’s not yours!)
- Leave a Bible verse on the mirror
- Be silly and make him/her laugh
- Put on some music and have an impromptu dance at home
- Pay him/her a compliment
- Listen to his/her dreams
- Regularly evaluate your relationship
- Learn his/her love language and find ways to meet it
- Try something new together
- Let go of hurt and grudges
- Support his/her dreams
- Look for ways to serve
- Be his/her biggest fan
- Show respect
- Brag on him/her to others
- Be the best spouse you can be
- Never stop trying to make the other person happy
- Practice humility
- Put his/her needs above your own
- Connect your hearts by doing a Bible study as a couple
- Be his/her safe place and the first person they run to
The simplicity of these ideas can help any marriage realign their hearts and refocus their priorities. Even when life is hectic and schedules are chaotic, a busy couple can easily love their mate well by putting a few of these ideas into practice. Choose one or two to focus on, and watch your relationship bloom as you make each other a priority once again.