50 Ways to Love Your Spouse Well
As a newly engaged woman, I used to dream about our life together. Having lived in separate towns for our entire relationship, the thought of seeing my love on a daily basis was thrilling. I imagined long chats each night before we finally snuggled into bed. Honestly, I wondered how I would even work since I was so head over heels in love with my man.
Looking back I admit that I laugh a bit at my naive self. While our marriage has been the highlight of my life, we are hardly giddy newlyweds anymore. Those long, fireside chats I imagined don’t happen nearly as often as I would like. And honestly, as we fall into bed each night exhausted by life, we don’t snuggle as much as I had fantasized.
However, through our years of battling cancer, infertility and Autism, we’ve learned how to love sacrificially. While marriage may not be the passionate affair I once imagined, what we have now is even better. Through every season and storm life threw our way, we learned these 50 ways to truly love each other well.
50 Ways to Love Your Spouse Well
- Write a love note
- Have simple, yet fun in-home dates
- Protect your spouse’s rest and give him/her time to relax
- Guard your tongue
- Surprise him/her at work with lunch
- Get intimate!!!
- Watch his/her favorite movie (without complaining)
- Do his/her least favorite chore
- Send a text to say, “I love you”
- Leave a surprise or note in his/her car
- Set the coffee to brew (or surprise them with his/her favorite drink)
- Ask him/her about their day
- Smile often and “just because”
- Kiss and hug upon greeting
- Call if you’re running late
- Pray for him/her regularly
- Watch your tone of voice
- Choose your words carefully
- Give grace (even when it’s not deserved or expected)
- Don’t nag
- Pray Scripture over him/her
- Dress to impress once and awhile
- Surprise him/her with a date night
- Give him the night off and to spend with friends
- Do a chore without being asked
- Give a massage
- Listen carefully
- Hold his/her hand
- Do his/her favorite hobby (even if it’s not yours!)
- Leave a Bible verse on the mirror
- Be silly and make him/her laugh
- Put on some music and have an impromptu dance at home
- Pay him/her a compliment
- Listen to his/her dreams
- Regularly evaluate your relationship
- Learn his/her love language and find ways to meet it
- Try something new together
- Let go of hurt and grudges
- Support his/her dreams
- Look for ways to serve
- Be his/her biggest fan
- Show respect
- Brag on him/her to others
- Be the best spouse you can be
- Never stop trying to make the other person happy
- Practice humility
- Put his/her needs above your own
- Connect your hearts by doing a Bible study as a couple
- Be his/her safe place and the first person they run to
The simplicity of these ideas can help any marriage realign their hearts and refocus their priorities. Even when life is hectic and schedules are chaotic, a busy couple can easily love their mate well by putting a few of these ideas into practice. Choose one or two to focus on, and watch your relationship bloom as you make each other a priority once again.
How do you love your spouse well?
Do you have a strategy for making your spouse a priority?
The Grace & Truth Linkup
This week’s feature, Sarah from Life of This Mother, has me TRULY convicted over a simply household chore! She reminds couples everywhere to selflessly serve your spouse and to shine the Lord through your actions. (Ouch! This hit home to me!)
It fills me with shame when I think of the hidden thoughts of my heart were laid so bare before the Lord. And it fills me with shame when I think of how I have spent so many years with that attitude towards the man that I love. – Sarah, Life of This Mother
BLOG | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | PINTEREST |
1) Follow your hosts via their blog and/or social media channels. This is not mandatory, but appreciated!
2.) Leave 1-2 of your most recent CHRISTIAN LIVING posts. Please do not link DIY, Crafts, Recipes, etc. Links of this kind will be deleted. We also reserve the right to delete posts that don’t align with the theme or that are deemed by the hostesses to be inappropriate.
3.) Visit 1-2 other links and leave a meaningful comment! We want to encourage community, so please don’t link and run!
4.) All links are randomly sorted – feel free to link as early or as late as you’d like. The playing field is even!
In order to be featured next week:
Grab a button or link back to Faith Along the Way or another host to encourage new linkers. This is not mandatory to participate, but is required to be featured.
Each host will choose one link to feature and promote via their social media channels next week.
By linking up you agree to allow the hosts to use your featured post image if you are chosen as a feature for next week. By linking up and leaving your email address, you also agree to receive e-mails relating to Grace and Truth.